Do you want Microsoft Dynamics GP to suggest, and even create, purchase orders based on desired stock levels? It can, after three easy steps.
Step 1—Set your desired stock levels
Cards | Inventory | Item Resource Planning
Use the Item Resource Planning Maintenance window to specify reorder information for a specific item/site combination. The information in this window can default from the Site Resource Planning window (Cards | Inventory | Site Resource Planning).
Keep in mind these key points for setting up this window for purchase order generator:
- Set Order Policy to Use PO Gen
- Specify an Order Point Qty and/or an Order-Up-To Level
For each item/site combination, you can choose to replenish to either the Order Point Qty or the Order-Up-To Level. Depending on your selection, the suggested purchase orders may differ:
- If you select to replenish to Order-Up-To Level:
- The Order-Up-To Level will be used only when it is greater than the Order Point Qty
- If it is less than the Order Point Qty or if it is zero, the Order Point Qty will be used
- If you select to replenish to Order Point Qty, the Order Point Qty will be used in all cases
Step 2—Set your PO Gen Item settings
Cards | Inventory | Item Resource Planning Maintenance | PO Gen Item button
The selections in this window default from the Purchase Order Processing Setup Options window (Tools | Setup | Purchasing | Purchase Order Processing | Options button). There are four key selections are:
- Order Method
- Independent Site—The PO will be created for the site that needs the quantity.
- Master Site—The PO will be created for the master site you specify, so a consolidated PO for one site is created based on the needs of individual sites.
- Replenishment Level
- Order Point Quantity
- Order-Up-To Level
- Vendor EOQ—Specified on Cards | Inventory | Vendors for the Item/Vendor combination (Economic Order field)
- Vendor Selection
- Site Primary Vendor—Specified on Cards | Inventory | Quantities/Sites for the Item/Site combination (Primary Vendor field)
- Vendor with Lowest Cost—Based on Cards | Inventory | Vendor (Last Originating Invoice Cost field)
- Vendor with Shortest Lead Time—Based on Cards | Inventory | Vendor (Planning Lead Time field)
- Include checkboxes
- Mark to include allocations, back orders and requisitions when determining the quantity needed You can use the Mass Update button to specify these PO Gen Item settings for a range of items, sites, item classes and generic descriptions.
Step 3—Generate suggested purchase orders
Transactions | Purchasing | Purchase Order Generator
To view suggested purchase orders, you can enter a range of items, sites, buyers, vendors or item classes. There are additional options you can specify as well:
- When using the Master Sites option, you can choose to Include Demand from Subordinate Sites.
- You can choose to Include Order with No Vendor ID.
- For the purchase orders that are suggested, you can specify settings:
- Buyer ID
- Purchase Order
- Promised Date
- Promised Ship Date
When ready, click Suggest Purchase Orders to view a list of suggested purchase orders based on the settings you have specified.
Items that appear with a red X have missing information. You can click on the item and then click the Item Number expansion arrow to open the Suggested Purchase Order Detail window.
Issues appear in the Warnings and Errors box at the bottom of the window. You can then correct the issue. Save and close the window to return to the Suggested Purchase Orders Preview window.
You can then mark the Include checkbox to generate the PO when you click the Generate Purchase Orders button, or you can use the printer icon to print a report of the Suggested Purchase Orders. If you choose to click Generate Purchase Orders, you will be prompted to print the Purchase Orders Generated report.
This report displays the detail of the purchase orders generated including the PO numbers.
For more information on using Purchase Order Generator, or for assistance in configuring your system to suggest purchase orders, contact BKD’s Microsoft Dynamics GP support center at email@example.com.