Although we GP consultants may not be “salespeople” in the traditional sense, all consultants “sell.” When we are at a client site and see a need, we might suggest an additional module, a change to process or configuration or even a third-party product solution from an independent software vendor (ISV). Microsoft Dynamics GP is fortunate to have a solid, long-standing and varied ISV community. Many of the prominent names have been in business for decades and have developed well-integrated, reliable and essential add-ons to Microsoft Dynamics GP.
So, what makes a great ISV? From a consultant’s viewpoint, we want products that:
- Meet a common need (just specialized enough)
- Are priced relative to their functionality (not overcharging for a small tweak)
- Are documented well (especially when it comes to configuration selections)
- Have excellent support (so that clients don’t feel ping-ponged between the ISV and us/Microsoft)
Over the years, the ISV market for GP has grown exponentially, especially when you factor in products that “can” integrate—meaning they were not specifically developed for Dynamics GP. So I thought it might be helpful to list some of the third-party products we factor into solutions time and again.
Before purchasing a third-party product, you should see a demo to ensure the product meets your specific needs. We do not endorse the following products, but provide them as a reference list of possible solutions based on our experience. They include:
- Mekorma MICR
- Print the MICR line on checks, but also add additional layers of signature printing and security to your check processing.
- Binary Stream Multi-Entity Management
- Manage multiple companies within a single Dynamics GP database, including balancing of due to/due from accounts, centralizing AP processing and filing payroll for multiple EINs.
- Greenshades Payroll Electronic Filing
- File state and federal taxes (and 1099s) electronically from within Dynamics GP. Greenshades also has W-2 print/mail services and an employee portal for pay stubs and W-2s.
- Nodus Credit Card Solutions
- This vendor offers PCI-compliant credit card processing solutions integrated with Dynamics GP to allow for credit card payments on documents in GP to be sent to your processor.
If you are a BKD client and are interested in the solutions noted above, or want to discuss how a third-party product might address your needs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.